Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cooking my way through Ma's cook book...

Ola!

This year has started with a surprise. I am not quiet used to surprises, although I always wondered what it was to be pleasantly surprised! Finally, i too know what it feels to be getting surprises.. :)

As long as it was about surprises, i was living every moment..Till my happiness needed some rest.. well not in the bad way.. Just a bit of cold here and there..Now am up and about...back to life!

Lately, have been wondering how to pass/kill my time... I have 8 months of idle time in hand. There are loads of things i wanted to do all the time..but was wondering if i should get back to working or hold on and pursue my desires of various hobbies..haven't been able to come to a conclusion yet... :(

Anyway, i was cleaning up the house...when i found my mother's cook book.. "hand written" by herself. Mom's an amazing cook!

Well, this cook book is something mom wrote for me 3 years back and continues to add new recipes as she discovers new ones...Mom said she'd give me this book when i leave home... Hah! That'l have to wait..Nevertheless, i couldn't resist not going through the contents and details mentioned in it... Like i said..My mom's an amazing cook.. we never had the need or want or even requirement to go out and indulge ourselves..You think of any dish and ma would put on the table.. All we had to do was tell mom..." i feel like eating...XYZ..." Mom's a darling...All mom's are meant to be.. Hats off Mommy! Your a genius! Muah :*


Well, i am not much of a cook. I don't quiet venture out to cook on my own. I either need to be told to do so..or just any crisis and i don't mind cooking.. Although i am extremely fond of eating.. And frankly could cook the easy stuff that i love eating regularly.

Surprisingly, I have seen myself change over a couple of years.. I love inspirational movies..and cooking has become a hot favorite. :) Ratatouille, Julia & Julie, Chew, Master chef,etc.. I just cant seem to get over with any of these movies/serials..

The other day, i decided if not for anything i will at-least try to get cooking some decent food. I want to be as good as my mother if not better than her.. May be Half as good as her.. I think i can do it...So finally got cooking..and now am going to cook my way through my mom's cook book. In these 8 months, i am not sure as to what i will accomplish and what i will not. But definitely, i will try to spend every single day discovering something new about myself...Be it music, sports, cooking, dancing... I am gonna enjoy everything i do.. No sulking! No cribbing! Just pure discovering and living every moment to its fullest...

For starters, i have started looking out for a job..lets hope i get something worthwhile... The place i live in does not quiet have many openings in my area..but that's ok..its experiment mode..so i think i can move out of my set zone and find something different yet worth learning from..

Secondly, i finally got going in the kitchen and now am friends with it.. :)
From cooking pretty simple stuff to now moving on to making soups every day...i am loving it..love the fact that it tastes just like mom's..gives me the confidence to get better and moving ahead..

Today..was special for me.. special coz i baked a cake in mom's absence.. There have been several occasions when i have baked cakes...but they have been under mom's guidance and supervision.. today, i didn't just bake any cake..but i baked a Vegetarian cake/egg-less cake...n to my surprise...its edible and above all feels like mom baked it for me...

I am definitely enjoying this moment... am enjoying the fact that i can cook the way my mom does..just that i don't want to peep into the book all the time...want it to be on the tip of my fingers...Yeah! its pretty early for me to get there..but i sure will make it.. After all, i am my mother's girl... ;)

Till then.. Ciao...

Bon Apetite!!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment