Friday, February 11, 2011

The Food Feista.......

Its a been a great week so far. And with 2 more days to go, i just could not resist myself from penning down the excitement. :)

Like i mentioned earlier..Cooking my way through mom's cook book has been exceptionally wonderful so far. I never quiet knew I had her genes drilled into me so well. Indeed! I ain't boasting or creating an imaginary world for myself and for you right now. Trust me! :)

This week's surely been a food fiesta at its best...

With no direction and only a spark of a thought..the food fiesta began..." a mixture of south Indian cuisines with English desserts ".. May sound weird to you..but trust me... U'l love it as much as i have loved preparing and eating them...

South Indian cuisines are amazing... Different flavors..what aromas... ummm!!! Incredible!

Steamed food has its own beauty...

To start with, what better start can the week have than starting from my native land.. "MANGALORE". 

Mangalore is popular  more for its food than probably anything else. The food has a distinct flavor.  Going down history, Manglorean food (as i understand and have read) is a  collective name given to the various cuisines of Tulu Nadu region. The community cuisines being that of Udipi (purely veg),  Mogaveeras, Billavas, Bunts, Saraswat Brahmins, Manglorean Catholics, & Bearys.

Among the communities that i mentioned above, I am well versed with the Saraswat Brahmin & Manglorean Catholic cusines (after all the 2 are an intricate part of me).

Manglorean food is known for the ingredients used. A large portion of the ingredients include coconut, rice, curry leaves, fish, ginger, garlic, and chilli. While these may be some of the ingredients used, i must say..considering the habitat ..which is largely coastal.. and densely supplied with coconut trees and paddy fields... the staple food invariably ends up being RICE, FISH, and COCONUT. (I guess, its totally the place that you live in that make us "human beings" to adapt to the surroundings..)

Being a Konkani, and having lived in every possible state in India..its amazing to discover and feel the culture and use the 5 sensory organs so well.. :P

Jokes apart.. getting back to the food fiesta..

Where Manglorean food was the highlight.. I did have a dash of Kerala & Tamil Nadu cuisines to bring some more variety. Adding a feather to my cap too :)


So here's a week dedicated to South Indian cuisines... 

Idli-Dosa-Sambar-Chutney (ground nut) [pic courtesy: google images]




Puttu (teamed with Ghee, sugar, & Banana) [pic courtesy: google images]



Manglorean Fish (Bangda/Mackerel) Curry, Appams, Sannas [pics courtesy: google images]

Sannas may appear to you as idlis..but it isn't. The moulds used are same and thus the look..but the sponginess and taste is beyond anyone's imagination... do try it some time! :)




Manglorean Fish fry ( teamed with Rice and Daali thoy)

Prawn fry   [pic courtesy: google images]




Phew! That's not it...

To add some variety.. decided lets have some fun around with desserts.. So...baked a raisin veg (egg less) cake..
[pic courtesy: google images]





and..the highlight for the week was the classic CARAMEL CUSTARD with grated orange (adding the required crunchiness and flavor to my pudding)..also known as Creme Caramel..
A lil brief i read about caramel custard which i could not resist myself from copy-pasting in here...


Baked custard! "Creme caramel. A light egg custard that is baked in a caramel-lined mould in a water bath. After the custard is baked, it is chilled and then turned out of the mold....In Spain, it is called flan and in Italy, crema caramella."
---The International Dictionary of Desserts, Pastries, and Confections, Carole Bloom [Hearst Books:New York] 1995 (p. 84) 


[pic courtesy: google images]


 

Aha! God bless Internet...and thank you all you wonderful people who have uploaded such wonderful pictures that I took your help instead of posting the pictures of the dishes i made.. (apparently, i do not click pictures of what i prepare....so ... :P)



Its amazing how I am discovering a new side to me.. The funny yet surprising part is that i never ever stood with my mom while she baked & cooked us these wonderful recipes, yet I am not letting her down for sure. I can vouch for it! (now that i am in her shoes...)

Love you mom... Muah! :*
So long...

Bon Apetite!!!

P.S: This blog is dedicated to my wonderful Mother for her love & patience & guidance & GENES...& & & & & ....(the list is long!!!!) In short... "I love You Ma" & i dedicate my food blog to you.. I hope u have loved the li'l cooking i have been doing... http://telangs-grubhub.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment